Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing 11 - Social Bookmarking and Conclusion

Can you see the potential of this tool for research assistance? Or just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?
I have lost my bookmarks due to computer crashes and upgrading to a new computer several times. I have tried to back-up my bookmarks and importing them into my new computer, but this wasn't a flawless solution. Del.icio.us will solve this problem...a HUGE advantage!

How
can your library or media center take advantage of tagging and del.icio.us? Look at the sites in the Resource list above to see how libraries are using Del.icio.us.
I have added several of the libraries who del.icio.us to my del.icio.us network (including Minn23). I can see utilizing this tool in a similar way to how we use PathFinders. If a class is coming in to the library, we could del.icio.us the web-sites that the teacher wants their student to use, prior to the class coming in. Also, when students are researching a topic, they could tag sites using del.icio.us that can be accessed both at home and at school. This could also help to lessen the need for students to print articles at school (thus saving some precious dollars!)

No comments: