Thursday, April 2, 2009

Read Meme

I joined this Read Meme on the 23 Things on a Stick Ning. It was originally posted on Booklist Online. If you want to participate in this meme, just answer these and put them on your blog or take it to your next book discussion group (the original use for this meme).

1.Which book has been on your shelves the longest?
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

2.What is your current read, your last read, and the book you’ll read next?
Current: The Eight by Katherine Neville
Last: Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud
Next: A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

3.What book did everyone like and you hated?
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

4.Which book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?
The rest of the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. I've gotten through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book #4)

5.Which book are you saving for “retirement?”
Not sure. I'm not very good a saving books! Perhaps the rest of the Harry Potter series (refer to Question #4).

6.Last page: read it first or wait til the end?
I usually wait until the end, but if the book is dragging, I have been known to jump ahead just to be sure finishing it is worth my time. My husband and daughter think this is unforgivable. Sorry!

7. Acknowledgments: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside?
Waste of ink. We all know that the author is grateful for the support of his/her publisher, editor, secretary, etc. I do like "dedications." They are usually short and sweet.

8.Which book character would you switch places with?
Elizabeth Bennet. Mr. Darcy, enough said.

9.Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)?
Bruce's Loose Tooth by Eileen Landay. It was one of my daughter's favorite bedtime stories and will always have a special place in my heart.

10.Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.
I can't think of anything very interesting other than Christmas and birthday gifts or great garage sale or Goodwill finds.

11.Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?
I have given the book I Love You as Much... by Laura Krauss Melmed, illustrated by Henri Sorensen to several expectant mothers at baby showers.

12.Which book has been with you to the most places?
My Bible

13.Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad ten years later?
I didn't really hate any high school reading. I had a really great English teacher (Mrs. Swanson) who made the reading selections very interesting. She explained each book and we had great classroom discussions about what we were reading.

14.What is the strangest item you’ve ever found in a book?
An airline boarding pass found in a book that my daughter purchased for my husband At Sara's Table in Duluth, Minnesota.

15.Used or brand new?
I prefer brand new. It's like a Christmas gift any time of the year. However, I do cherish my collection of antique books.

16.Stephen King: Literary genius or opiate of the masses?
Opiate of the masses. I can't say I'm a fan of the genre.

17.Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm not sure I liked these movies "better" than the book, but it's a close call.

18.Conversely, which book should NEVER have been introduced to celluloid?
Sahara by Clive Cussler. Bad, bad and even more bad! Even Matthew McConaughey couldn't save this one for me!

19.Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?
Denise

Check out these Read Meme participants blog responses:
Not Enough Coffee
Floating Lush
Librarian D.O.A.
J Wiles' 23 Things Times 2 Blog

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

How are you liking Eight? I myself recently bought that one.

Zoma said...

Caitlin, I'm enjoying Eight. It's a little like a toned-down DaVinci Code. Let me know how you like it!