Wednesday, February 26, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 11 - Library & Reference

ERHS Media Center Welcome Display
Although I am familiar with ELM (Electronic Library for Minnesota) and have used their databases for years, I was surprised that I learned a few new things in Thing 11. One of the most basic pieces of information I gleaned was from the ELM Facebook page, which I have "liked" for a long time.  The ELM Facebook page is a great source for "on this day" type of information.  We have a "welcome" white board at the entrance to the Media Center where we display current events and things particular to the day.  This may not seem too spectacular, but help coming up with interesting information to display every day is very much appreciated!

As a refresher for ELM database searching, I used my iPhone to search Ebsco's Academic Search Premier.

ELM (elm4you.org) on iPhone
The search performed identically to my desktop computer.  It is good to remember that this in not an app, but rather the ELM website accessed through Safari, or any web browser (elm4you.org).

Academic Search Premier Search for Snowy Owl

Search Results for Snowy Owl

Article Found by Snowy Owl Search

My favorite excerpt from my search for "snowy owl," is:

"Harry Potter novelist J.K. Rowling cast a snowy owl as her orphaned hero's courier and companion.  That seems perfectly fitting: Swift, strong, beautiful, and dauntless in caring for their young, these winged icons of the Arctic are magically fascinating---to boy wizards and scientists alike."

The Elk River High School Media Center uses several apps.  DestinyQuest allows users to search our library catalog and Follett Enlight K-12 is our eBook reader app.  We also use Gale's Access My Library app to search our databases.


That's all I've got for Thing 11, but as you can see from the photos below, I am still having fun with Thing 9!

Out My Front Door

Tommy

No comments: