Monday, February 18, 2008

Thing 2 - Library 2.0 and Conclusion

My blog posts have been long and hopefully they make sense (they do in my world!). I guess my final thoughts on Library 2.0 and Web 2.0 are this:

I'm all for this philosophy!

Time and money are hurdles we must address.

Our library automation system, on-line databases and vendors have limits on their capabilities. I'm not sure if realistically, right now, we could incorporate some of the neat features of Web 2.0.

As far as research goes, we struggle daily to get our students to use something other than Google. I hope to learn a few tricks to help broaden their researching repertoire.

And finally, technology is great, but it would be very sad to not encourage the actual reading experience with a paper copy in hand. I was thrilled to learn that the new public library in Elk River (GRRL) will have a porch with lawn chairs looking out on a lake-view to provide a great place just to read! Call me old-fashioned, but curling up on the couch with a blanket, hot chocolate and laptop instead of a actual book doesn't cut it! I know for some, that would be just fine, but actually smelling a new book, touching it's pages, and reading it is a thrill I hope will never fade!

No comments: