Friday, March 21, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 19 - Hobbies

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
~ Proverb

The older I get, the more I enjoy my free-time.  My problem is not having too few hobbies to fill my free-time, but too many!  Thing 19 explores mobile apps related to hobbies.  I chose two apps to explore.  First up is Road Ninja because it will be useful when my husband and I go on road trips.  And, since I already use Spotify, I decided to learn more about this app.

Road Ninja
Summertime is fun time and we love road trips!  For most of the 23 Mobile Things apps, I place them in a "23 Things" folder on my phone.  I will then see which apps I actually use and move those to permanent folders and delete those I do not need.  Road Ninja bypassed the "23 Things" folder and went straight into my "Travel" folder.

As expected, food, gas and lodging are all searchable in this app.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the pharmacy locator option.  Speaking from experience, you don't know how important being able to find medical clinics and pharmacies are when traveling, until you need one.  Last summer we traveled to the Oregon coast.  I contracted whooping cough, my first symptoms showed up in Custer, South Dakota.  By the time we reached Oregon, I was really sick and miserable.  Not being familiar with the area, it wasn't easy finding an urgent care facility and then a pharmacy to fill my prescriptions.  This app would have helped!


The Oregon coast is beautiful!
Spotify
This app was already on my phone, but I hadn't used it much.  I have several playlists built, for example, Jazzercise Jams of my favorite workout songs, and already follow other playlists, like CBS This Morning.  I have also connected with friends on Spotify.

One thing I learned is that you can listen to BOOKS on Spotify!  How cool is that!  Most of the books I found are "classics."  I am going to tell our French teachers about listening to the French version of Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac!

Speaking of "classics," there was a challenge listed for Spotify in Thing 19.  It is:



I accepted this challenge and then had to come up with a playlist idea for the Elk River High School Media Center.  Since we recently changed our Fiction section to shelving by genre, I decided to create genre playlists.  I started with Classics.  It was fun to find so many of our classic titles, that have been on screen or stage, that have music affiliated with them.  I also started a Popular/Edgy playlist.  After a quick internet search, I found it very easy to copy the embed code for each playlist.  I plan on adding to the Popular/Edgy playlist and also creating other genre playlists, as time permits.  Here are my playlists:

How does a classic sound?  Find out by listening to the ERHS Media Center - Classics Playlist!



ERHS Media Center - Popular/Edgy Playlist:


We have also placed my playlists on the Media Center's website.  Here's the link: Elk River High School Media Center

No comments: